I wasn’t sure I’d draw attention to this rather odd episode, but here goes… In the past few weeks Melinda Tankard Reist posted a piece by Matthew Holloway which quotes Germaine Greer, on her blog. I’m surprised because Germaine Greer is hardly an ally of her cause.
I think this is worth a brief comment because it points to something in Melinda’s character, especially given her recent attempts to control her image. She is desperate to be taken seriously as a feminist.
The Greer thing began when she and Melinda appeared on the ABC’s Q&A together. A post by Melinda suggests she expected Germaine to rip her apart. I saw the episode and to tell the truth, I was hoping that Germaine would have cause to cut Melinda down to size. It didn’t quite work out that way. In fact they ‘seemed’ to agree. Of course it all depends on the question asked. I even agree with Melinda on some things. However I think that the more likely scenario is that Germaine just didn’t know who Melinda was.
Personally I think it is intellectually dishonest of Melinda to use Germaine in this way. It is a perfect example of cherry picking, of selectively quoting someone to make it seem they support your cause. A more honest person would represent a person as they would represent themselves.
Germaine’s view is far more nuanced than either Matthew Holloway or Melinda seem to understand, but then I’m not sure they know all that much about her, let alone have the intellect…
Germaine has described herself as an anarcho-communist and a libertarian. Her criticism of pornography is a view that many libertarians actually share, that ‘porn’ as it is currently presented, is a false representation of human sexuality and that anyone who thinks it is real will have a distorted view of sex and of both men and women.
pages: 1 2
- The Naked Child in Art: The New Arguments Against 136,645 views
- The Lure of Aphrodite's Mirror: Brooke Shields and Eva Ionesco 129,166 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography 115,270 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Misty Dawn 71,223 views
- Revisiting My Little Princess, a Film by Eva Ionesco 66,552 views
- Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze 65,678 views
- Photos 59,283 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Photography 55,991 views
- Corporate Paedophilia: The Australia Institute Discussion Paper 53,486 views
- Eva Ionesco: My Little Princess 39,800 views
- Ray on Eden
- Anno on Eden
- Ray on Eden
- Anno on Eden
- Ray on The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography
- Ray on Hypersexuality in Children
- karl bauer on Hypersexuality in Children
- RedMane on The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography
- Mike on Graham Ovenden (2): Persecuting the Models
- Ray on Graham Ovenden (2): Persecuting the Models
Abigail Bray About Ray Artemis Bill Henson Child Abuse Child Prodigy Christianity Classical Culture Dark Matter David Finklehor Eden Emma Rush Empty Taboos Eros False Certainties Gail Dines Gifted Kids Hetty Johnston Hippie Kids Intersexed Islam Japanese Culture Jock Sturges Melinda Tankard Reist Michael Carr-Gregg Moral Conservatives Naked Child In Art Navaratri Porn Psyche Radical Ideas Rock Chicks Sexology Sexualisation Sexualisation Debate Sexuality Stonefield Suzanne Ost Talented Kids Tantra The Anthropology of Sex The Childhood Culture Wars Transgender Transgression Wild Child