In French the word Galleria also means shopping centre (mall). I think the play between gallery and galleria is appropriate because a visit to the Louvre is like a visit to a large, crowded shopping mall. Many of the people going there are tourists intent on seeing the big name art works. The worst are the tour groups who seem to just want a photo of themselves beside the art work. The Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo as celebrities.
My first day was a shock. It was exceptionally crowded, uncomfortably so. I went early but by midday I had had enough. I was feeling claustrophobic, just as I do in crowded shopping centres. The second day was miraculously different. No where near as many people.
The highlight, and the surprise, on the first day was the medieval section. Very impressive. The antithesis to the aesthetics of the Greco-Roman tradition. The Gothic in all its darkness and melancholy. Death, suffering, ugly faces and bodies, and faith that God will somehow lift the corruption of the world. I didn’t take photos so I’ll use reproductions. The first is Malines’s The Infant Jesus as the Saviour of the World and the second is Conrad Meit’s Adam et Eve.
pages: 1 2
- The Lure of Aphrodite’s Mirror: Brooke Shields and Eva Ionesco 238,747 views
- The Naked Child in Art: The New Arguments Against 195,931 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography 192,508 views
- Revisiting My Little Princess, a Film by Eva Ionesco 160,570 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Misty Dawn 124,960 views
- Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze 120,375 views
- Photos 111,657 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Photography 106,190 views
- Corporate Paedophilia: The Australia Institute Discussion Paper 81,613 views
- Hippie Kids 70,143 views
Abigail Bray About Ray Artemis Bill Henson Child Abuse Child Prodigy Christianity Classical Culture Dark Matter David Finklehor Eden Emma Rush Empty Taboos Eros False Certainties Gail Dines Gifted Kids Hetty Johnston Hippie Kids Intersexed Islam Japanese Culture Jock Sturges Melinda Tankard Reist Michael Carr-Gregg Moral Conservatives Naked Child In Art Navaratri Porn Psyche Radical Ideas Rock Chicks Sexology Sexualisation Sexualisation Debate Sexuality Stonefield Suzanne Ost Talented Kids Tantra The Anthropology of Sex The Childhood Culture Wars Transgender Transgression Wild Child