There’s been a little storm in the blogosphere over an article written by Catherine Manning on Mamamia. My concern is not the details of the controversy, but a very revealing response from Julie Gale of Kids Free 2B Kids and some members of Collective Shout, to which both Julie and Melinda Tankard Reist are closely connected.
It is damning evidence that Julie Gale and Collective Shout actually do not know what sexualisation is; that they interpret ‘pornification’ and sexualisation to be the same things.
In a response to Catherine, Julie Gale argues that there is substantive support for her position.
I have worked for half a decade raising awareness about this issue and so am very curious to know who are the ‘many you have worked alongside’ that have said: ‘girls dressing like women was asking for trouble’ – or – ‘if you want to project your child from predators, cover them up’. In my 6 years of raising awareness about sexualisation I have not heard any of my ‘anti-sexualisation’ colleagues say either – but it would be concerning if someone did. I agree it would be important to correct those ‘many people’. It wasn’t me – so was it Dr Michael Carr Gregg – or Dr Joe Tucci – or Dr Emma Rush – or Dr Clive Hamilton – or Maggie Hamilton – or Melinda Tankard Reist – or Professor Louise Newman – or Former Chief Justice of the Family Court Alastair Nicholson – or Danielle Miller – or Steve Biddulph – or head of the AMA Dr Steve Hambleton or Professor Elisabeth Handsley? Or perhaps it was someone from the Victorian Principals Association – or maybe you read these statements in a report from the American Psychological Association, or The UK Home office report, or The Scottish and Irish Parliament and French Government reports – or perhaps from The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. (see Here).
- The Lure of Aphrodite’s Mirror: Brooke Shields and Eva Ionesco 183,600 views
- The Naked Child in Art: The New Arguments Against 171,618 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography 157,244 views
- Revisiting My Little Princess, a Film by Eva Ionesco 111,105 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Misty Dawn 99,792 views
- Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze 99,190 views
- Photos 94,294 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Photography 83,304 views
- Corporate Paedophilia: The Australia Institute Discussion Paper 74,833 views
- Hippie Kids 51,987 views
- Ray on Eden
- Anno on Eden
- Ray on Eden
- Anno on Eden
- Ray on The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography
- Ray on Hypersexuality in Children
- karl bauer on Hypersexuality in Children
- RedMane on The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography
- Mike on Graham Ovenden (2): Persecuting the Models
- Ray on Graham Ovenden (2): Persecuting the Models
Read About My Books
Abigail Bray About Ray Artemis Bill Henson Child Abuse Child Prodigy Christianity Classical Culture Dark Matter David Finklehor Eden Emma Rush Empty Taboos Eros False Certainties Gail Dines Gifted Kids Hetty Johnston Hippie Kids Intersexed Islam Japanese Culture Jock Sturges Melinda Tankard Reist Michael Carr-Gregg Moral Conservatives Naked Child In Art Navaratri Porn Psyche Radical Ideas Rock Chicks Sexology Sexualisation Sexualisation Debate Sexuality Stonefield Suzanne Ost Talented Kids Tantra The Anthropology of Sex The Childhood Culture Wars Transgender Transgression Wild Child