There’s been a little storm in the blogosphere over an article written by Catherine Manning on Mamamia. My concern is not the details of the controversy, but a very revealing response from Julie Gale of Kids Free 2B Kids and some members of Collective Shout, to which both Julie and Melinda Tankard Reist are closely connected.
It is damning evidence that Julie Gale and Collective Shout actually do not know what sexualisation is; that they interpret ‘pornification’ and sexualisation to be the same things.
In a response to Catherine, Julie Gale argues that there is substantive support for her position.
I have worked for half a decade raising awareness about this issue and so am very curious to know who are the ‘many you have worked alongside’ that have said: ‘girls dressing like women was asking for trouble’ – or – ‘if you want to project your child from predators, cover them up’. In my 6 years of raising awareness about sexualisation I have not heard any of my ‘anti-sexualisation’ colleagues say either – but it would be concerning if someone did. I agree it would be important to correct those ‘many people’. It wasn’t me – so was it Dr Michael Carr Gregg – or Dr Joe Tucci – or Dr Emma Rush – or Dr Clive Hamilton – or Maggie Hamilton – or Melinda Tankard Reist – or Professor Louise Newman – or Former Chief Justice of the Family Court Alastair Nicholson – or Danielle Miller – or Steve Biddulph – or head of the AMA Dr Steve Hambleton or Professor Elisabeth Handsley? Or perhaps it was someone from the Victorian Principals Association – or maybe you read these statements in a report from the American Psychological Association, or The UK Home office report, or The Scottish and Irish Parliament and French Government reports – or perhaps from The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. (see Here).
- The Naked Child in Art: The New Arguments Against 94,018 view(s)
- The Lure of Aphrodite’s Mirror: Brooke Shields and Eva Ionesco 73,509 view(s)
- The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography 64,601 view(s)
- The Naked Child in Art: Misty Dawn 36,940 view(s)
- Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze 31,754 view(s)
- Eva Ionesco: My Little Princess 27,372 view(s)
- Photos 25,469 view(s)
- The Naked Child in Art: Photography 24,348 view(s)
- The Childhood Culture Wars: Dani Brubaker 21,058 view(s)
- Futanari 17,714 view(s)
- Carolyn on Moral Panic and the Vilification of Graham Ovenden
- powerman5000ca on Female Shredder: Shotaro Nakamura
- B on Woutherus Mol
- DD on Mexx Children’s Clothing Ad – Equal to the Boys.
- Ray on Concluding the Naked Child in Art Series
- Luna on Concluding the Naked Child in Art Series
- Silly on Addendum to the 5 Myths
- David Brodbeck on Mexx Children’s Clothing Ad – Equal to the Boys.
- sean on Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze
- Kenneth Wade Wilson on Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze
Abigail Bray About Ray Artemis Bill Henson Child Abuse Child Prodigy Christianity Classical Culture Dark Matter David Finklehor Emma Rush Empty Taboos Eros False Certainties Gail Dines Gifted Kids Guitar Prodigies Hippie Kids Intersexed Islam Japanese Culture Jock Sturges Melinda Tankard Reist Michael Carr-Gregg Moral Conservatives My Photographs Naked Child In Art Navaratri Porn Psyche Radical Ideas Rock Chicks Sexology Sexualisation Sexualisation Debate Sexuality Stonefield Suzanne Ost Talented Kids Tantra The Anthropology of Sex The Childhood Culture Wars Transgender Transgression Wild Child