I have already discussed the issue of sexual grooming after having read Child Pornography and Sexual Grooming by Suzanne Ost. Now to approach the difficult topic of child pornography. Why difficult? After all, shouldn’t we be able to have a rational discussion about such an important issue? Well, as I will argue, the reason it is made difficult is precisely to discourage a rational discussion. This is part of the politics of this issue.
As Ost reveals in her book, the issue of child pornography has been largely decided under the pressure of moral panic. As a result the debate is deeply irrational, confused, contradictory and down right hypocritical.
Make no mistake. Child pornography exists and it is a serious problem. But it is here we face our first confusion. A confusion that is deliberately manipulated by those who benefit from moral panic. Any photograph or film that depicts a child engaging in a sexual act is evidence of child sexual abuse. For this reason police and professionals working in this area prefer to use the term child abuse material. When they uncover this material one of their main goals is to identify the child and rescue them from their abusers. This is as it should be and the police are becoming increasingly sophisticated and successful at tracking child abuse material. I support this approach and support better funding.
However, the term child pornography is used in a variety of polemical ways and this is the subject of this series of posts. For this reason, and this is absolutely essential to understand, I make a distinction between child abuse material and child pornography.
- The Lure of Aphrodite’s Mirror: Brooke Shields and Eva Ionesco 186,653 views
- The Naked Child in Art: The New Arguments Against 173,058 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography 159,430 views
- Revisiting My Little Princess, a Film by Eva Ionesco 114,055 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Misty Dawn 101,163 views
- Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze 100,627 views
- Photos 95,385 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Photography 84,566 views
- Corporate Paedophilia: The Australia Institute Discussion Paper 75,278 views
- Hippie Kids 53,034 views
- Ray on Eden
- Anno on Eden
- Ray on Eden
- Anno on Eden
- Ray on The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography
- Ray on Hypersexuality in Children
- karl bauer on Hypersexuality in Children
- RedMane on The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography
- Mike on Graham Ovenden (2): Persecuting the Models
- Ray on Graham Ovenden (2): Persecuting the Models
Read About My Books
Abigail Bray About Ray Artemis Bill Henson Child Abuse Child Prodigy Christianity Classical Culture Dark Matter David Finklehor Eden Emma Rush Empty Taboos Eros False Certainties Gail Dines Gifted Kids Hetty Johnston Hippie Kids Intersexed Islam Japanese Culture Jock Sturges Melinda Tankard Reist Michael Carr-Gregg Moral Conservatives Naked Child In Art Navaratri Porn Psyche Radical Ideas Rock Chicks Sexology Sexualisation Sexualisation Debate Sexuality Stonefield Suzanne Ost Talented Kids Tantra The Anthropology of Sex The Childhood Culture Wars Transgender Transgression Wild Child