I came across this fascinating documentary about nude swimming in schools. I have been arguing that our modern aversion to images of the naked child is very recent. This documentary reveals that in many parts of America is was common for boys to swim naked up until the 60’s and 70’s.
However, what I find even more fascinating is how quickly this piece of social history was forgotten. What this tells us is that people can choose to forget once common social customs when those customs have become sexualised, shameful or embarrassing – or deemed politically incorrect.
The documentary is on Youtube and has been split into 3 parts – part 2 is the better section. I do not claim it is a good documentary. It is in need of tighter editing and the director does tend to get sidetracked. However it does contain important documentary evidence that nude swimming was a widespread practice and even a health requirement.
I should add that modern censorship and concerns over child pornography means that contemporary film makers may never be able to depict this historical practice, thus reinforcing the idea that it never happened.
- The Lure of Aphrodite’s Mirror: Brooke Shields and Eva Ionesco 239,254 views
- The Naked Child in Art: The New Arguments Against 196,111 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography 192,797 views
- Revisiting My Little Princess, a Film by Eva Ionesco 160,913 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Misty Dawn 125,135 views
- Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze 120,532 views
- Photos 111,801 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Photography 106,376 views
- Corporate Paedophilia: The Australia Institute Discussion Paper 81,677 views
- Hippie Kids 70,303 views
Abigail Bray About Ray Artemis Bill Henson Child Abuse Child Prodigy Christianity Classical Culture Dark Matter David Finklehor Eden Emma Rush Empty Taboos Eros False Certainties Gail Dines Gifted Kids Hetty Johnston Hippie Kids Intersexed Islam Japanese Culture Jock Sturges Melinda Tankard Reist Michael Carr-Gregg Moral Conservatives Naked Child In Art Navaratri Porn Psyche Radical Ideas Rock Chicks Sexology Sexualisation Sexualisation Debate Sexuality Stonefield Suzanne Ost Talented Kids Tantra The Anthropology of Sex The Childhood Culture Wars Transgender Transgression Wild Child