This was unexpected. A mere coincidence or a Jungian synchronicity involving the Kore archetype?
I was in the city yesterday; visiting the NGV, browsing bookshops and as I flicked through an edition of Purple magazine featuring Chloe Sevigny I noticed that one of the shots of Chloe featured two of Garry Gross’s controversial photos of the young Brooke Shields.
The photos were taken by Terry Richardson, the bad boy of fashion photography. Richardson is intentionally provocative and both Purple and Chloe Sevigny are noted for their transgression (perhaps more on this later). I was somewhat surprised to see the images reproduced but shrugged my shoulders and walked away, thinking that it was very like Richardson. I gave it no more thought.
That is, not until I was flicking through my digital TV program guide and noticed that ABC2 was going to show Pretty Baby at 8:30 that same night. This was a genuine surprise. Given the current concern over the sexualization of children I would have thought the ABC would have judiciously chosen to avoid screening this film (it could not be made today). In any case I expected it to be heavily cut, especially considering that it had been given a M rating (the highest rating for TV is M15+).
The next surprise was to discover that it seems not to be have been cut much at all. I can’t be sure. The last time I saw the film was back when it had been released and my memory of it has since faded. I do vaguely remember that Brooke appeared in a full frontal nude scene, although I had confused it with a famous photograph of Natassja Kinski taken by Richard Avedon.
- The Lure of Aphrodite’s Mirror: Brooke Shields and Eva Ionesco 182,347 views
- The Naked Child in Art: The New Arguments Against 171,001 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography 156,360 views
- Revisiting My Little Princess, a Film by Eva Ionesco 109,933 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Misty Dawn 99,245 views
- Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze 98,635 views
- Photos 93,836 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Photography 82,743 views
- Corporate Paedophilia: The Australia Institute Discussion Paper 74,672 views
- Hippie Kids 51,535 views
- Ray on Eden
- Anno on Eden
- Ray on Eden
- Anno on Eden
- Ray on The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography
- Ray on Hypersexuality in Children
- karl bauer on Hypersexuality in Children
- RedMane on The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography
- Mike on Graham Ovenden (2): Persecuting the Models
- Ray on Graham Ovenden (2): Persecuting the Models
Read About My Books
Abigail Bray About Ray Artemis Bill Henson Child Abuse Child Prodigy Christianity Classical Culture Dark Matter David Finklehor Eden Emma Rush Empty Taboos Eros False Certainties Gail Dines Gifted Kids Hetty Johnston Hippie Kids Intersexed Islam Japanese Culture Jock Sturges Melinda Tankard Reist Michael Carr-Gregg Moral Conservatives Naked Child In Art Navaratri Porn Psyche Radical Ideas Rock Chicks Sexology Sexualisation Sexualisation Debate Sexuality Stonefield Suzanne Ost Talented Kids Tantra The Anthropology of Sex The Childhood Culture Wars Transgender Transgression Wild Child