The recent publicity over Bill Henson has prompted me to explore this theme earlier than I had planned, but this will be the last, at least for now. This blog will cover much more than this relatively minor subject (so minor I wonder what all the fuss is about).
The core problem is that moral conservatives associate nudity with sex and any image of a naked child must and can only be viewed as pornographic. This is nonsense of the highest order. Since classical times the body of the child has been represented as a thing of beauty. This tradition has continued into the modern era.
It is hardly surprising that photographers would wish to continue this long established tradition. One of these photographers is Jock Sturges and one of his principle subjects/models is Misty Dawn. (Was Sturges thinking of Donatello when he took this image?)
Jock has photographed Misty since she was three years old and continues to photograph her today (making it a 27 year collaboration). The photos above and below appear in ‘Misty Dawn: Portrait of a Muse.’ (pg 9 and 155 respectively).
The moral conservatives like to claim that photographers such as Sturges have sinister motives, that they are exploiting their subjects. But what can they say when the photographer continues to collaborate with a model over a lifetime? And what does Misty say about their relationship? Here are her own words from Notes by Jock Sturges, pg 85-86.
pages: 1 2
- The Lure of Aphrodite’s Mirror: Brooke Shields and Eva Ionesco 256,497 views
- The Naked Child in Art: The New Arguments Against 202,196 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography 201,420 views
- Revisiting My Little Princess, a Film by Eva Ionesco 173,213 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Misty Dawn 130,919 views
- Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze 126,040 views
- Photos 116,840 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Photography 111,843 views
- Pretty Baby Revisited 84,386 views
- Corporate Paedophilia: The Australia Institute Discussion Paper 83,552 views
Abigail Bray About Ray Artemis Bill Henson Child Abuse Child Prodigy Christianity Classical Culture Dark Matter David Finklehor Eden Emma Rush Empty Taboos Eros False Certainties Gail Dines Gifted Kids Hetty Johnston Hippie Kids Intersexed Islam Japanese Culture Jock Sturges Melinda Tankard Reist Michael Carr-Gregg Moral Conservatives Naked Child In Art Navaratri Porn Psyche Radical Ideas Rock Chicks Sexology Sexualisation Sexualisation Debate Sexuality Stonefield Suzanne Ost Talented Kids Tantra The Anthropology of Sex The Childhood Culture Wars Transgender Transgression Wild Child