The Judeo-Christian tradition has given us one narrow archetype for women. Virgin or Whore. A choice between the Virgin Mary or the whore Mary Magdalene – except the Catholic church has now admitted that Pope Gregory’s version of Mary Magdalene was wrong.
The Greco-Roman tradition however, gives us several archetypes of ‘womanhood’. A far richer set of narrative options.
Two are of importance to the debate over the sexualization of girls: Aphrodite and Artemis (or Venus and Diana).
Aphrodite is the goddess of beauty and sexuality. The original meaning of ‘glamour’ was a kind of spell or enchantment. In this sense Aphrodite uses beauty and sexual allure as a way to bewitch. She is also connected to sacred prostitution.
In this sense she is a perfect metaphor for the modern ‘glamour’ industry; fashion, cosmetics and diet.
When Christianity took over, the early Church fathers vigorously attacked this archetype. Tertullian argued that a good Christian woman, ever mindful of her link to the sin of Eve, should be modest in dress and not resort to any sort of artifice or ornament. In this way Aphrodite was turned into the Whore.
The sexualization debate is a rather crude recapitulation of this old debate. Girls should dress like Virgins, not Whores.
But there are other options. Artemis is the moon, a primal nature goddess. She roams the wild places with her nymphs (more on them later). She is untamed, the goddess of the hunt.
One day the hunter Actaeon spies on Artemis bathing naked with her nymphs. Outraged at his intrusion she turns him into a stag, turns her hounds onto him and they dutifully rip him to shreds.
pages: 1 2
- The Naked Child in Art: The New Arguments Against 94,420 view(s)
- The Lure of Aphrodite’s Mirror: Brooke Shields and Eva Ionesco 73,896 view(s)
- The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography 65,169 view(s)
- The Naked Child in Art: Misty Dawn 37,211 view(s)
- Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze 31,981 view(s)
- Eva Ionesco: My Little Princess 27,479 view(s)
- Photos 25,719 view(s)
- The Naked Child in Art: Photography 24,568 view(s)
- The Childhood Culture Wars: Dani Brubaker 21,169 view(s)
- Futanari 17,761 view(s)
- Carolyn on Moral Panic and the Vilification of Graham Ovenden
- powerman5000ca on Female Shredder: Shotaro Nakamura
- B on Woutherus Mol
- DD on Mexx Children’s Clothing Ad – Equal to the Boys.
- Ray on Concluding the Naked Child in Art Series
- Luna on Concluding the Naked Child in Art Series
- Silly on Addendum to the 5 Myths
- David Brodbeck on Mexx Children’s Clothing Ad – Equal to the Boys.
- sean on Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze
- Kenneth Wade Wilson on Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze
Abigail Bray About Ray Artemis Bill Henson Child Abuse Child Prodigy Christianity Classical Culture Dark Matter David Finklehor Emma Rush Empty Taboos Eros False Certainties Gail Dines Gifted Kids Guitar Prodigies Hippie Kids Intersexed Islam Japanese Culture Jock Sturges Melinda Tankard Reist Michael Carr-Gregg Moral Conservatives My Photographs Naked Child In Art Navaratri Porn Psyche Radical Ideas Rock Chicks Sexology Sexualisation Sexualisation Debate Sexuality Stonefield Suzanne Ost Talented Kids Tantra The Anthropology of Sex The Childhood Culture Wars Transgender Transgression Wild Child