Two seemingly innocent words have been nagging me this week. I didn’t think they were worth writing about, but now that their author has written a piece attacking Michelle Griffin a few more pieces have fallen into place. The author of course, is Dr Emma Rush (who I mentioned in Corporate Paedophilia).
The two seemingly innocent words were ‘unique intimacy’. They come from her rather dismal apologia over at the ABC’s Religion and Ethics: Media must do better on porn debate.
Faced with this last, porn apologists point to the DIY porn genre, created and shared among consenting adults, without any commercial transactions involved. What could possibly be wrong with that? One response, open to people across the political spectrum, is that porn per se chronically misses the point of sex: unique intimacy. (my emphasis)
To be anti-porn does not mean being anti-sex. Rather, it promotes sex in the context of loving relationships. It does not mean “protecting” women from sexuality, although it does critique the increasingly violent and misogynist sexuality promoted by the porn industry.
This is just bizarre. Even the most conservative Catholic argues that they are not ‘anti-sex’. They are all for sex – provided it is contained within acceptable parameters, namely heterosexual marriage. In fact Emma’s concept of ‘unique intimacy’ seems awfully close to Catholic doctrine as explicated by John Paul II in Theology of the Body
The lust of the flesh directs these desires, however, to satisfaction of the body, often at the cost of a real and full communion of persons. (Lust Limits the Nuptial Meaning of the Body)
However, I do not think Emma is a Catholic (perhaps she is), rather I think she is an acolyte of Clive Hamilton (who I have critiqued here) and perhaps shares his philosophical idealism.
- The Lure of Aphrodite’s Mirror: Brooke Shields and Eva Ionesco 187,531 views
- The Naked Child in Art: The New Arguments Against 173,527 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography 160,049 views
- Revisiting My Little Princess, a Film by Eva Ionesco 114,982 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Misty Dawn 101,577 views
- Abigail Bray: Adopting the Paedophiliac Gaze 101,008 views
- Photos 95,730 views
- The Naked Child in Art: Photography 84,980 views
- Corporate Paedophilia: The Australia Institute Discussion Paper 75,406 views
- Hippie Kids 53,362 views
- Ray on Eden
- Anno on Eden
- Ray on Eden
- Anno on Eden
- Ray on The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography
- Ray on Hypersexuality in Children
- karl bauer on Hypersexuality in Children
- RedMane on The Naked Child in Art: Naturist Photography
- Mike on Graham Ovenden (2): Persecuting the Models
- Ray on Graham Ovenden (2): Persecuting the Models
Abigail Bray About Ray Artemis Bill Henson Child Abuse Child Prodigy Christianity Classical Culture Dark Matter David Finklehor Eden Emma Rush Empty Taboos Eros False Certainties Gail Dines Gifted Kids Hetty Johnston Hippie Kids Intersexed Islam Japanese Culture Jock Sturges Melinda Tankard Reist Michael Carr-Gregg Moral Conservatives Naked Child In Art Navaratri Porn Psyche Radical Ideas Rock Chicks Sexology Sexualisation Sexualisation Debate Sexuality Stonefield Suzanne Ost Talented Kids Tantra The Anthropology of Sex The Childhood Culture Wars Transgender Transgression Wild Child